Assistant Technical Director
Town Theatre is seeking a part-time Assistant Technical Director. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of all aspects of technical theatre including set design, construction, lighting and sound. Town Theatre is embarking on its 100th season of operation with a heavy emphasis on musicals. Generally, the theatre produces five main stage shows during the season (September to May), a large summer main stage musical, two to three youth theatre productions as well as various special event shows. The theatre itself is a proscenium stage theatre with a fly system. Sets are built onsite in a workshop and on the stage. Town Theatre values the ability of all staff to work in and promote a harmonious work environment.
- be at least 18 years old with a valid driver’s license.
- have a high school degree or a GED equivalent.
- have a basic theatre knowledge of how productions are put together and run.
- showcase an ability to effectively work with and support volunteers.
- show the desire and ability to work collaboratively and cordially with fellow staff, stage managers, directors and volunteers.
- be able to meet deadlines with quality results.
- have a flexible schedule that will vary depending on the life cycle of each show.
Preferred skills include, but are not limited to carpentry, overhead rigging, stage electrics, scenic painting and sound/audio tech experience.
Basic duties of the position will include, but are not limited to:
- assisting Technical Director with the building, rigging, props, painting of scenery, lighting and any audio needs for the productions.
- assisting in the maintenance of equipment in the scene shop, light booth and sound booth.
- keeping up with the props, organization of the props room and basement storage.
- occasionally working off site at the warehouse to pull and maintain stored scenery.
- staffing the actual productions as the on-site technician when needed.
- working in the attic over the auditorium as well as on the grid over the stage as needed.
- assisting with the maintenance needs of the general facility.
The candidate would work an average of 20 hours per week with daytime hours during show preparation and evening hours during show production. Salary range is $14,000 to $18,000 depending on background and experience. To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, visual examples of scenic work as three references with current contact information. Packages may be sent electronically to Shannon Willis Scruggs, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Packages may also be sent via US Mail to: Search Committee, Town Theatre, 1012 Sumter Street, Columbia, SC 29201. Applications due by Friday, September 14.