Town Theatre is seeking a Technical Director Assistant. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of all aspects of technical theatre including set design, construction, lighting and sound. Town Theatre is in the middle of its 102nd season of operation with a heavy emphasis on musicals. Generally, the theatre produces five main stage shows during the season (September to May), a large summer main stage musical, two to three youth theatre productions as well as various special event shows. The theatre itself is a proscenium stage theatre with a fly system. Sets are built onsite in a workshop and on the stage. Town Theatre values the ability of all staff to work in and promote a harmonious work environment.
- Be at least 18 years old with a valid driver’s license
- Have a high school degree or a GED equivalent
- Have a basic theatre knowledge of how productions are put together and run
- Showcase an ability to effectively work with and support volunteers
- Show the desire and ability to work collaboratively and cordially with fellow staff, stage managers, directors and volunteers
- Be able to meet deadlines with quality results
- Have a flexible schedule that will vary depending on the life cycle of each show
Preferred skills include, but are not limited to carpentry, overhead rigging, stage electrics, scenic painting and sound/audio tech experience.
Basic duties of the position will include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Technical Director with the building, rigging, props, painting of scenery, lighting and any audio needs for the productions
- Assisting in the maintenance of equipment in the scene shop, light booth and sound booth
- Keeping up with the props, organization of the props room and basement storage
- Working offsite at the warehouse to pull and maintain stored scenery
- Staffing the actual productions as the on-site technician when needed
- Working in the attic over the auditorium as well as on the grid over the stage as needed
- Assisting with the maintenance needs of the general facility
Ideally, this hire will be a full-time position with weekday hours during the show build and evening hours during the run of the show, shared by the theatre’s Technical Director. However, the position may be split depending on the candidates. To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, visual examples of scenic design work and three references with current contact information. Packages may be sent electronically to Shannon Willis Scruggs, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted Dec. 7, 2021